Throughout the ages, there have been many different superstitions where mirrors are concerned. One of the best-known notions is that if you break a mirror, you’ll have seven years of bad luck. As odd as it might seem, these kinds of stories came about during the times when people looked to see their reflections in the water. To be able to see their fate, they gazed upon the water. If their reflection was distorted, they were sure to die soon. However, with time even superstitions changed along with beliefs.
People in early times imagined that the image they saw in a mirror was their soul. If the mirror was broken, so was their soul and a sign that the person was going to die.
The belief of having seven year’s bad luck came from ancient Rome. Seven years was the period that it would take for a soul to renew itself. The Romans also created a little known remedy that was useful for those who broke a mirror. If a person wanted to avoid seven years of bad luck, they had to bury the broken mirror deep into the ground.
Once a person died, families would cover all the mirrors in the house. This was done to prevent the deceased’s soul from getting trapped in a mirror. In some ancient cultures, when a loved one died in a terrible accident, was murdered or died while suffering from unrequited love, all of the mirrors had to be covered. This was done so that the spirit of the deceased would not keep hanging around. It was thought that the soul was looking for a body to possess. They wanted to finish the business that had been interrupted by their sudden death.
Some other beliefs:
· If a mirror hanging on a wall, falls down and breaks on its own, it means someone is going to die.
· The reason witches and vampires do not show their reflections in mirrors is that they don’t have a soul.
· There are cultures that believe that a baby less than a year old should not be shown its reflection in a mirror; otherwise, the baby will die.
· It is looked upon as bad luck if you see your face in a mirror by candlelight. If you looked at a mirror by candlelight, you might be able to see the spirit of a loved one who has died.
· Actors believe that it’s bad luck to see their reflection in a mirror while looking over someone’s shoulder.
· For women who want to know what their future husband will look like, they should sit down in front of a mirror and eat an apple. Then start brushing their hair, and supposedly an image of their future husband will show up behind their shoulder in the mirror’s reflection.
Mirrors are thought to possess power beyond the natural and show a reflection of the truth. Therefore they’ve become a repository that is handy for many mystical and supernatural ideas.
Finding Your True Self
Perhaps, a mirror might help you find your true self. Then again, maybe you might not be happy with what you discover and see. It all depends on how you look at things and how strong-minded you are. Make the room as dark as you can and sit down about three feet from a mirror. Take ten minutes to gaze at your reflection. If studies are correct at this point, you should begin to see small distortions in your face. After some more minutes have passed, there should be a dramatic change in your facial reflection, and it should begin looking like a waxwork. At this time, you might no longer recognize it as your face, and you might see other faces looking back at you, even faces that might resemble monsters or animals. Studies are trying to understand a person’s sense of identity and self.
Whether or not this is true, the point is that when we look in the mirror, we identify those reflections with ourselves. If, as life goes on, we can continue to recognize ourselves, then we know that we have a strong sense of identity with who we are. People all age differently and one of the best ways to preserve our true selves is to be able to look into the mirror and somewhere way back in there also see the child, the teen, the young adult we once were so that we always keep the younger self alive inside of us. One of the frightening things is — what if you don’t recognize the person in the mirror? So always stay true to yourself. Even when you’re not looking in the mirror, have a mental image of what you look like.